Southampton have been expelled from the 2026 Championship play-off final after admitting unauthorised filming of three opponents’ training sessions across the season, the English Football League said Tuesday. The Saints also accepted a four-point deduction to be carried into the 2026-27 campaign and a formal reprimand from an independent commission.
It is the first time a club has been removed from a Championship play-off mid-tie, and the first major test of the 72-hour anti-spying rule the EFL wrote after Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United were caught watching Derby County prepare in January 2019.
Southampton Out, Middlesbrough In on the Eve of Wembley
The Independent Disciplinary Commission’s ruling, delivered Tuesday 19 May, nullifies Southampton’s aggregate semi-final win over Middlesbrough and reinstates the Teesside club to Saturday’s final against Hull City at Wembley Stadium. Kick-off is set for 16:30 BST, subject to the outcome of an appeal Southampton confirmed within hours of the verdict.
The English Football League (EFL, the governing body for the three professional divisions below the Premier League) framed the consequence as a sporting-integrity decision rather than a financial penalty. Its ruling stated plainly that “Middlesbrough are reinstated into the 2026 Play-Offs and will proceed to the Play-Off Final against Hull City.” The four-point hit lands in next season’s table, ensuring the south-coast club starts the 2026-27 Championship campaign behind the line before a ball is kicked. Read the full disciplinary ruling on the Southampton spygate charges for the commission’s reasoning.
Hull City had spent the week preparing for Southampton, having lost both regular-season meetings to the Saints. The opponent change rewrites the Tigers’ tactical brief with four days to spare and forces the EFL to confirm broadcast and ticketing logistics from scratch.
The Spy at Rockliffe Park
On 7 May, two days before the play-off semi-final first leg, Middlesbrough staff spotted a man standing on a raised patch of ground beside their Rockliffe Park training base near Darlington. He was pointing a smartphone at the session and wearing in-ear headphones. Sources told the BBC the staff believed he was live-streaming the session via a video call.
When approached, the man fled towards the adjoining Rockliffe Hall Golf Club car park, changed clothes, and drove off. Middlesbrough preserved the photographic evidence and reported it to the EFL the same week. The accused was later identified as William Salt, an analyst intern on Southampton’s data team.
The location matters because it dictates which rule applies. EFL Regulation 3.4 obliges all member clubs to act “in the utmost good faith” towards each other. A separate clause prohibits any club from observing another’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled fixture without written consent. The visit on 7 May sat squarely inside that window.
Saints initially denied that the individual had been acting on the club’s behalf. Within ten days they admitted breaches at three separate fixtures, accepted the charges, and entered the disciplinary hearing without contesting the underlying conduct. The fight, the club’s representatives told the panel, was over the severity of punishment.
Three Clubs, Three Breaches Across One Season
The breach pattern is what tipped the commission from a fine to expulsion. Saints did not stumble into a single error around a play-off tie; they built a habit across the entire 2025-26 Championship season, watching three different opponents at three different stages of the campaign. Each filmed session sat inside the pre-match window the EFL specifically wrote into its rulebook in 2019.
| Opponent | Match window | Competition stage |
|---|---|---|
| Oxford United | December 2025 | Regular season |
| Ipswich Town | April 2026 | Regular season |
| Middlesbrough | May 2026 | Play-off semi-final |
The Middlesbrough breach drew the headline, but the December and April incidents broadened the case from one botched operation into a season-long programme. The commission’s reprimand language and the points deduction both reflect that pattern rather than any single act.
Why the 72-Hour Rule Was Written
In January 2019, a Leeds United employee was reported to Derby County’s police after acting suspiciously outside Derby’s Moor Farm training base. Marcelo Bielsa, Leeds’s then-manager, calmly admitted at his next press conference that he had sent the man and that he routinely sent scouts to watch every opponent. The EFL fined Leeds £200,000 the following month.
Bielsa technically broke no specific rule. The league had no anti-spying clause; the fine was issued under the broader “utmost good faith” regulation. The episode forced a rewrite. By the start of the 2019-20 season, the league had added an explicit prohibition on observing another club’s training within 72 hours of a fixture without consent.
That clause sat largely untested for six and a half years. Southampton’s case became the first to reach a major-stakes outcome since the wording was added.
- January 2019: Leeds employee caught at Derby’s Moor Farm training base.
- February 2019: EFL fines Leeds £200,000 under the good-faith regulation.
- Summer 2019: EFL adds the 72-hour anti-spying clause to its rulebook.
- May 2026: Southampton admit three breaches across one season, one of them in a play-off tie.
The contrast tells the commission’s reasoning. Bielsa’s case was a single observation of a fellow Championship side, settled with money and no sporting penalty. Saints stacked three breaches across one season, one of them against the very opponent they would face in a play-off tie. Same family of offence, very different bill.
What Promotion Is Worth
The financial gulf between the Championship and the Premier League is the reason any of this matters. The play-off final has been called the most lucrative single fixture in club football for more than a decade.
Deloitte’s published estimate of Premier League promotion value placed the winner’s revenue uplift at a minimum of £135 million ($181 million) in the first season after promotion, with a further £130 million if relegation is avoided the following year.
- £135m+ minimum first-season revenue uplift for a promoted club, per Deloitte’s published estimate.
- £130m+ additional revenue if the promoted side survives a second Premier League season.
- £200,000 the fine handed to Leeds for the 2019 spygate incident, the previous benchmark.
- Three different opponents Southampton admitted filming during the 2025-26 season.
Those numbers explain why the play-off final is also the venue where sporting-integrity risks concentrate. A single tie carries the financial weight of a transfer window for both clubs and a multi-year balance-sheet shift for the winner. The commission’s calculation, in expelling Saints rather than fining them, was that any penalty short of forfeiting the prize on offer would not deter a repeat.
Four Days for Hull City and Boro
Middlesbrough’s official club statement on the verdict landed within an hour of the ruling, welcoming the commission’s findings and pivoting straight to Wembley preparation.
Middlesbrough Football Club welcomes the outcome of today’s Disciplinary Commission hearing. We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct.
The Teesside club added that ticket information for travelling supporters would follow shortly. The squad’s full attention, it said, was now on the Hull City fixture. Manager Kim Hellberg, the Swedish head coach appointed from Hammarby in November 2025, had not been expected to need a Wembley dossier this week. He has one anyway.
Hull City’s task is messier in the short term. The Tigers had spent the week studying Southampton, the side that beat them home and away during the league season and that runs a fundamentally different shape from Boro’s. Ruben Selles’s squad now retools against an opponent who beat them once in regular play and who carries the emotional uplift of a reinstatement. Mohamed Belloumi and Joe Gelhardt, the Hull pair who scored in the second-leg semi-final win over Millwall, will face a fresh back four.
Both squads also face the awkwardness of staging a final whose route to Wembley involved a disciplinary commission rather than a referee. The EFL’s confirmation that the appeal could still alter the fixture leaves Hull and Boro preparing for one opponent while a second remains legally possible until Wednesday’s window closes. The Premier League’s central revenue distribution structure is the prize sitting at the end of the day.
The Appeal Window Closes Wednesday
Southampton lodged a formal appeal within hours of the verdict and pressed for an expedited hearing before the final. The EFL confirmed it would attempt to resolve any challenge on Wednesday 20 May. The club’s lawyers are not contesting the underlying breaches, only the severity. Their argument is that a fine or a play-off-only points reset, not expulsion plus a four-point deduction, fits the offence.
If the appeal panel reduces the penalty by Wednesday evening, Saints could yet appear at Wembley on Saturday. If it does not, the play-off final will start with Hull City and Middlesbrough on the pitch, and the EFL will start the 2026-27 Championship season with Southampton at minus four. Either way, an expelled club, a points deduction, and a precedent now sit in the league’s case law for whoever tests the rule next.





