The Telstra Best of Business Awards is a prestigious program that celebrates the achievements and contributions of small and medium-sized businesses in Australia. The awards recognise businesses that are making a positive impact on the economy, society, culture and environment through their innovation, excellence and leadership.
A new and improved awards program
The Telstra Best of Business Awards was launched in 2022 as a successor to the Telstra Business Awards and the Telstra Business Women’s Awards, which had been running for over 28 years. The new program aims to reflect the changing needs and aspirations of Australian businesses and entrepreneurs, and to showcase the diversity and dynamism of the small and medium-sized business sector.
The awards program consists of eight categories that cover various aspects of business performance and social responsibility. These are:
- Building Communities
- Championing Health
- Embracing Innovation
- Promoting Sustainability
- Outstanding Growth
- Accelerating Women
- Indigenous Excellence
- Progressing Australia
The awards are open to businesses of any size, industry and location, as long as they have been operating for at least 12 months and have an annual turnover of less than $100 million. The awards are judged by a panel of experts from various fields and backgrounds, who assess the applicants based on their vision, strategy, execution and impact.
The 2023 winners and finalists
The 2023 Telstra Best of Business Awards culminated in a gala event held in Sydney on November 20, where the national winners and finalists were announced and celebrated. The event was attended by over 500 guests, including business leaders, media personalities, government representatives and Telstra executives.
The 2023 Business of the Year and Indigenous Excellence winner was Winyama Digital Solutions Pty Ltd, an Indigenous owned and operated business specialising in Geographic Information Systems and cloud solutions. The business works with commercial, public sector and First Nations organisations to create digital solutions that optimise the management of the Indigenous land estate in Australia.
The other national winners in each award category were:
- Accelerating Women: FBW Gynaecology Plus, a women’s health, fertility and wellness clinic founded by Dr. Fariba Willison.
- Building Communities: Region Group, a for-purpose news technology platform that provides trusted, balanced journalism for regional Australia.
- Championing Health: FBW Gynaecology Plus, the same business that won the Accelerating Women category.
- Embracing Innovation: The Mullion Group, a software company that measures and models land-based greenhouse gas emissions and removals.
- Outstanding Growth: Valenhold, a mining services company that offers end to end solutions for mobile fleet operations.
- Promoting Sustainability: Sea Forest, a seaweed farming company that produces a natural livestock feed supplement that reduces methane emissions from cattle.
- Progressing Australia: Pakko, a packaging company that uses recycled cardboard and vegetable-based inks to create eco-friendly and customisable boxes.
The national finalists in each category were also recognised for their achievements and excellence. They were:
- Accelerating Women: She’s A Crowd, a data-driven social enterprise that uses storytelling to prevent gender-based violence; and The Good Box, a social enterprise that provides care packages and employment opportunities for people experiencing homelessness.
- Building Communities: West Australian Shalom Group, a not-for-profit organisation that provides aged care, disability and mental health services for the Jewish community; and The Pyjama Foundation, a charity that empowers children in foster care through literacy and mentoring programs.
- Championing Health: Ear Science Institute Australia, a medical research institute that focuses on ear and hearing disorders; and The Healthy Mummy, a health and fitness platform that supports mothers to live healthier lives.
- Embracing Innovation: Sea Forest, the same business that won the Promoting Sustainability category; and Swoop Aero, a drone logistics company that delivers essential supplies to remote and rural areas.
- Outstanding Growth: The Mullion Group, the same business that won the Embracing Innovation category; and Mable, an online platform that connects people with disability and older Australians with independent support workers.
- Promoting Sustainability: The Mullion Group, the same business that won the Embracing Innovation and Outstanding Growth categories; and Sendle, a carbon-neutral courier service that offers low-cost and reliable delivery for small businesses.
- Indigenous Excellence: Winyama Digital Solutions Pty Ltd, the same business that won the Business of the Year and Indigenous Excellence categories; and Indigiearth, an Aboriginal owned and operated business that produces native foods, skincare and wellness products.
- Progressing Australia: Pakko, the same business that won the Progressing Australia category; and She Maps, an education company that inspires girls and women to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
A celebration of Australian business excellence
The Telstra Best of Business Awards is more than just a competition. It is also a platform for networking, learning and recognition for the small and medium-sized business community. The awards program offers a range of benefits and opportunities for the participants, such as:
- Access to exclusive events, workshops and webinars that provide insights, inspiration and advice from industry experts and peers.
- Exposure to local and national media, as well as Telstra’s extensive network of customers, partners and stakeholders.
- Feedback and guidance from the judging panel and Telstra’s business specialists on how to improve and grow their businesses.
- A chance to win cash prizes, trophies, certificates and other rewards that showcase their achievements and credibility.
- A membership to the Telstra Best of Business Awards Alumni, a network of over 10,000 past and present winners and finalists who share their experiences, knowledge and opportunities.
The Telstra Best of Business Awards is a testament to the resilience, innovation and excellence of Australian businesses and entrepreneurs. It is a celebration of the small and mighty businesses that are moving Australia forward.